Prep 10 mins
Cook 21 mins
No soup-mix-chemically-taste in this one. From the Williams-Sonoma site.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄4 cups sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- potato chips
- mixed vegetables, for dipping (crudites)
- In a fry pan over medium-high heat, melt the butter.
- Add the onion and salt and cook, stirring often, until soft and caramelized, about 20 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce and stir to scrape up the browned bits from the pan bottom.
- Transfer the onion to a small bowl and let cool to room temperature.
- In a bowl, stir together the sour cream, mayonnaise, cayenne pepper and black pepper.
- Stir in the onion.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 1 week.
- Serve with potato chips and crudites for dipping.
- Makes about 2 cups.
This is delicious! We loved the little zip from the cayenne pepper, and the caramelized onions became so sweet and flavorful. Fat free sour cream and mayo worked great here. Thanks for sharing!
I was looking for a French Onion Dip recipe that didn't contain any MSG, which is in most dry soup mixes. After all, who CAN'T mix an envelope of nion soup mix with some sour cream? This was absolutely fresh and delightful! I did, however, add a couple of diced scallion tops, just for color, but it made the taste fabulous! Thanks for taking the time to share this recipe!
Australian/New Zealand recipe swap. Fantastic and so easy and the tate is just awesome! DH just totally loved it as so did anybody wlse who tried it. Made exactly as per recipe except for I grated most the onion which made cook a little quicker, the rest I left finely diced. Loved the taste of the sour cream, with this recipe! This is a top recipe ev and I will be making again....often! Thanks for sharing ev.... FANTASTIC!