Recipe by evelyn/athens
No soup-mix-chemically-taste in this one. From the Williams-Sonoma site.
Top Review by Starrynews
This is delicious! We loved the little zip from the cayenne pepper, and the caramelized onions became so sweet and flavorful. Fat free sour cream and mayo worked great here. Thanks for sharing!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄4 cups sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- potato chips
- mixed vegetables, for dipping (crudites)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a fry pan over medium-high heat, melt the butter.
- Add the onion and salt and cook, stirring often, until soft and caramelized, about 20 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce and stir to scrape up the browned bits from the pan bottom.
- Transfer the onion to a small bowl and let cool to room temperature.
- In a bowl, stir together the sour cream, mayonnaise, cayenne pepper and black pepper.
- Stir in the onion.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 1 week.
- Serve with potato chips and crudites for dipping.
- Makes about 2 cups.