Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
Uses sweet caramelized onions, cream of onion soup, and spices. French Onion Dip is one of those things I always bought and never thought about making it myself until I found this recipe. From one of my favorite cookbooks, "BHG Off The Shelf Cooking" Cook time is chill time.
- 3 medium vidalia onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) cancondensed cream of onion soup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 teaspoons snipped fresh chives
- In a large skillet cook onion in hot butter over medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until tender and golden, stirring occasionally. Cool.
- In a blender or food processor combine cooked onion, soup, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Cover and blend or process until nearly smooth.
- Transfer dip to a small bowl. Stir in chives. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Serve with assorted dippers such as chips or baby carrots.