Recipe by KristinV
A fantastic recipe given to me by my workmate. I was a bit wary of trying it out as it had sour cream and my hubby hates sour cream but I cooked it without telling him and he loved it. Its regular meal now and if we have no chicken I substitute with beef cubes or chicken sausages. Apparently the original recipe called for chicken Pieces.
Top Review by loof
Great quick simple weeknight meal! I left out the additional onion and added peas for my veggie. I was a short on sour cream and only used about half of the specified amount but thought it was really good that way. Served as suggested over couscous; I think this would be great over mashed potatoes as well. Thanks for posting this recipe!
- 500 g chicken breast fillets
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 (40 g) packet French onion soup mix
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 slices bacon (Rindless with fat trimmed for lowfat version)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 cup water
- 200 ml sour cream (Light if you like)
- 1 cup couscous (optional)
- 1 cup frozen vegetables (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cube chicken fillets and place in plastic bag. Add flour and soup mix to the bag and shake until chicken is coated. Don't worry if there seems to be a lot of dry mix left in the bag.
- Place coated chicken and oil into frying pan leaving the left over dry mix in the bag to the side.
- Brown the chicken and remove from the pan.
- Dice the bacon and onion and place in the frying pan where the chicken was cooked and cook until onion is translucent.
- Add the chicken back into the frying pan with the bacon and onion.
- Take the left over dry mixture and add to the cup of water and mix. Pour this mixture over the ingredients in the frying pan.
- Simmer for around 20 minutes adding more water if needed.
- While this is simmering prepare the couscous as directed on the packet and heat the frozen vegetables (I use the microwave).
- After the 20 minutes, or when you are happy the chicken is cooked, add the sour cream mixing well. At this point I chuck in the prepared couscous and the vegetable but you can just add the vegetables and serve the chicken mixture over the couscous.