1/7 Photos of French Onion Chicken
A fantastic recipe given to me by my workmate. I was a bit wary of trying it out as it had sour cream and my hubby hates sour cream but I cooked it without telling him and he loved it. Its regular meal now and if we have no chicken I substitute with beef cubes or chicken sausages. Apparently the original recipe called for chicken Pieces.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 500 g chicken breast fillets
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 (40 g) packet French onion soup mix
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 slices bacon (Rindless with fat trimmed for lowfat version)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 cup water
- 200 ml sour cream (Light if you like)
- 1 cup couscous (optional)
- 1 cup frozen vegetables (optional)
- 1Cube chicken fillets and place in plastic bag. Add flour and soup mix to the bag and shake until chicken is coated. Don't worry if there seems to be a lot of dry mix left in the bag.
- 2Place coated chicken and oil into frying pan leaving the left over dry mix in the bag to the side.
- 3Brown the chicken and remove from the pan.
- 4Dice the bacon and onion and place in the frying pan where the chicken was cooked and cook until onion is translucent.
- 5Add the chicken back into the frying pan with the bacon and onion.
- 6Take the left over dry mixture and add to the cup of water and mix. Pour this mixture over the ingredients in the frying pan.
- 7Simmer for around 20 minutes adding more water if needed.
- 8While this is simmering prepare the couscous as directed on the packet and heat the frozen vegetables (I use the microwave).
- 9After the 20 minutes, or when you are happy the chicken is cooked, add the sour cream mixing well. At this point I chuck in the prepared couscous and the vegetable but you can just add the vegetables and serve the chicken mixture over the couscous.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Onion Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (318 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 383.7
- Calories from Fat 197
- Total Fat 21.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 103.0 mg
- Sodium 1050.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 33.3 g