Prep 4 hrs
Cook 15 mins
Creamy and just delicious, if you love onions then this is one you have to try. Plan ahead this needs to be refrigerated for a minumum of 4 hours.
- 3 medium onions
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups shredded swiss cheese, divided
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 5 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 6 slices French bread (cubed)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Sice the onions crosswise, cut each slice in half.
- Melt the butter in a frypan, cook the onions and the mushrooms until tender.
- Spoon the mixture into a lightly greased baking dish.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup Swiss cheese.
- In a bowl, combine the soup, evaporated milk Parmesan cheese (if using) and soy sauce; pour the mixture over the cheese.
- Top with the bread cubes, and the remaining 1 cup Swiss cheese.
- Sprinkle with parsley (if using).
- Cover, and refrigerate for 4-8 hours.
- Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake, covered in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.
- Uncover, bake for an additional 15-20 minutes.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
This casserole was a big hit...just the smell of it cooking alone brought the neighbors over....it was fabulous...
great flavor , perfect for potlucks. this is the 4th time I've made this dish and I always double the recipe and still never have any leftovers.