Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
From Southern Living cookbook. I love onions this is so good.
- 3 medium sweet onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces fresh sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups shredded swiss cheese, divided
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can mushroom soup
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 6 slices French bread (1/2-inch thick)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Slice onions crosswise cut each of the slices in half.
- Melt butter in large skillet,medium high heat cook onions and mushrooms until tender.
- Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 2-QT baking dish.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup cheese.
- Combine soup, milk, and soy sauce; pour over cheese.
- Top with bread slices and sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese and parsley.
- Cover and refrigerate 4-8 hours.
- Remove and let stand 30 minutes.
- Bake covered 375°F for 30 minutes,uncover and bake 15-20 more minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
I was going to post this one, but will instead rate 5 stars...this is one rich and creamy side dish, which is excellent with any grilled or roasted meat.
This was delish!!! I only let it sit in the fridge for about two hours, and then for about 10 minutes on the counter, before I popped it into the oven... Not sure how the extra time would have affected the overall dish, but I thought it turned out pretty perfect... Too rich to be an everyday thing, but we definitely enjoyed it!