Recipe by TheDancingCook
For the French Onion soup lover who loves soup and who also loves cabbage. Very easy.
Top Review by KelBel
Wow! This was excellent. You would not know there is cabbage in with the onions. I sauted the onion, cabbage, and garlic for more like 30 minutes to really caramelize them together. Used an organic low sodium beef broth and topped with croutons and 5 cheese italian shredded cheese. Perfect for a cool evening any time of year.
- 2 lbs vidalia onions, sliced
- 1 head cabbage, sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 slices toasted French bread
- 4 slices swiss cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a large dutch oven and saute onions, garlic and cabbage for 15 minutes.
- Stir in flour and salt; add broth, water and Worcestershire.
- Cook to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Spoon broth mixture into soup crocks, filling crocks about 3/4 full; top with the french bread and swiss cheese.
- Place crocks under a broiler on Low and melt cheese until it bubbles and becomes browned.