Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
For the French Onion soup lover who loves soup and who also loves cabbage. Very easy.
- 2 lbs vidalia onions, sliced
- 1 head cabbage, sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 slices toasted French bread
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- Melt butter in a large dutch oven and saute onions, garlic and cabbage for 15 minutes.
- Stir in flour and salt; add broth, water and Worcestershire.
- Cook to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Spoon broth mixture into soup crocks, filling crocks about 3/4 full; top with the french bread and swiss cheese.
- Place crocks under a broiler on Low and melt cheese until it bubbles and becomes browned.
Wow! This was excellent. You would not know there is cabbage in with the onions. I sauted the onion, cabbage, and garlic for more like 30 minutes to really caramelize them together. Used an organic low sodium beef broth and topped with croutons and 5 cheese italian shredded cheese. Perfect for a cool evening any time of year.
We really enjoyed this. It was very rich. More so than you would think. I would eliminate the salt as the broth was salty and I thought the soup was slightly salty. I made my own croutons with some Oroweat Dill Rye bread by cutting into cubes and tossing with olive oil, salt and pepper. I toasted them in the oven at 350 for 10 minutes. I topped the soup with these and Gruyere cheese. This would be a good soup to make for a dinner party.
This made for a very sastisfing meal. I did'nt have beef broth on had so I use a dry onion soup mix and it worked just fine. I also use my wok to cook it in which it did just great. Pehaps waterchestnuts could be added for a bit of a crunch. ed