Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Delicious and rich casserole served as a side to beef or poultry--lots of fat and calories, so you know it's excellent! I found it on a cooking program.
- 3 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons clarified butter
- 1 tablespoon sweet sherry
- 1 large Italian bread or 1 large French bread, crusts removed, cut into 5x1-inch pieces
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups grated gruyere cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large skillet, sauté onions, sugar, and 1 teaspoons salt in the clarified butter over medium high heat, stirring constantly to prevent burning. Cook until golden brown. Add sherry to lift any caramelized onion on the bottom of the pan. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Spread bread pieces evenly on baking sheet. Place in oven for about 5 to 8 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk together the eggs, cream, mustard, thyme, remaining 2 teaspoons salt and pepper. Soak bread in the egg mixture for 5 minutes.
- In a casserole dish, layer bread, onions then cheese. Pour remaining egg mixture over the top.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until eggs are set.