Prep 35 mins
Cook 35 mins
A hearty casserole served with some good homemade bread-Pure comfort food!
Make and share this French Onion Beef-Noodle Bake recipe from Food.com.
- 1182.95 ml uncooked wide egg noodles (8oz.)
- 44.37 ml margarine
- 907.18 g boneless beef top sirloin steaks, cut into 1- inch cubes
- 4 medium sweet onions
- 473.18 ml fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 709.77 ml beef broth
- 59.14 ml all-purpose flour
- 4.92 ml dried rosemary leaves
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml pepper
- 473.18 ml seasoned croutons
- 473.18 ml swiss cheese, shredded
- Heat oven to 350°F; cook and drain noodles as directed on the package.
- In a 5-quart dutch oven, melt the margarine.
- Add the beef, onions and mushrooms; cook about 30 minutes, stirring often, until beef is browned on all sides, the onions are soft and the mushrooms are browned.
- Spread the noodles in bottom of ungreased 13x9 inch glass baking dish.
- Spoon the beef mixture over the noodles.
- In the same Dutch oven, heat 2 1/2 cups of the broth to boiling. In a small bowl, mix the remaining 1/2 cup broth and flour until smooth; stir the flour mixture into the boiling broth.
- Cook, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Stir in the rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Pour over the beef mixture; stir until blended.
- Sprinkle with the croutons and cheese.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Tip: Be sure and give the onions enough time to caramelize. Well worth the great flavor!
Very nice combination of flavors. I really loved the pasta and croutons in this recipe and Dave really enjoyed the meat portion(he's not a big pasta fan). But we really enjoyed the dish as a whole. I altered the cooking method a little. I saute the onions (which I don't know if they were sweet or not but they tasted great) for 20 minutes, then added the mushrooms for 10 minutes then added the beef for the last 10 minutes. I was afraid if I put the meat and the mushrooms in together they would be way too done. I also used Hot Buttered Garlic Noodles for the noodles because of the garlic. This recipe screamed garlic. Other than that I followed the recipe. Thanks for sharing.
Amazing. I didnt think this was difficult at all, much easier than it looks. The results are well worth it, another one of those dishes that tastes even better the next day, after the noodles really get a chance to soak up all that flavor. Definately will make again!!!