Prep 1 hr
Cook 47 mins
From Cooking Light. Serving size: 2/3 c. noodles, 1 2/3 c. broth mixture, 1/3 c. croutons, and 1 T. cheese. Per serving: 526 calories, 14.9 g fat, 37.7 g protein, 56.1 g carb, 2.6 g fiber, 94 mg cholesterol.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless sirloin steaks, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme (or 1/2 t. dried thyme)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 6 cups vertically sliced onions
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 (16 ounce) can fat free chicken broth
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can beef consomme
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups hot cooked soba noodles
- 2 cups garlic-flavored croutons
- 1⁄2 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- Add and combine the first 5 ingredients to a large zip-lock heavy duty plastic bag; seal and marinate in the refrigerator for 1-4 hours.
- Over medium-high heat, melt the butter in a Dutch oven.
- ADd in onion and sugar; cook/stir frequently for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Lower heat to medium; cover and cook 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir flour into onion mixture; cook, uncovered, for 2 minutes.
- Addin water, wine, broth, and consomme, stirring with a whisk.
- Bring mixture to a boil; partially cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add in beef mixture, Worcestershire sauce, pepper, and salt; cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until meat is done.
- Distribute noodles into 6 large bowls; top with broth mixture, croutons, and cheese.