1/2 Photos of French Onion Beef Au Jus
2 hrs 10 mins
This is a fabulous recipe for an open faced French Onion Beef Au Jus sandwich. This is truly a knife-and-fork sandwich. I have made this countless times, and have no idea where I got the original recipe, or why I have never posted it here. It can be made in the oven, or crockpot. I have made it both ways, depending on how much time I have, and really notice no difference. One little tip I can share, is when you are toasting your bread in the oven, slice a small sliver off the bottom (round side) of the bread to make a flatter surface, that way when you pile on the beef, onion, and cheese the sandwich won't tip over when you put it back in the oven to melt the cheese. (it keeps it from being top-heavy).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1360.77-1814.36 g beef roast, boneless rump, tip, bottom round, boneless beef brisket
- 118.29 ml soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2.46 ml browning sauce (optional)
- 35.43 g package dry onion soup mix
- 946.36 ml water
- 236.59 ml strong black coffee
- 2 sweet yellow onions
- 59.14 ml butter
- 8 French rolls or 1 loaf French bread
- 473.18 ml swiss cheese, grated
- 1Slice onions in 1/4 inch slices, lightly brown onion slices in butter.
- 2Combine soy sauce, onion soup mix, garlic, onions, coffee, and 4 cups water.
- 3Place roast in 4-quart casserole or Dutch oven. Add soy sauce mixture and onions. Cover tightly and bake 2 1/2 hours in a 325 degree F oven or until beef is tender.
- 4Remove roast and allow to rest 20 minutes before carving; keep broth hot.
- 5Slice roast thinly across grain; return slices to liquid.
- 6Slice french rolls lengthwise, butter and toast bread in 375 degree oven.
- 7To serve, place hot beef slices, and onions on top of bread, sprinkle with grated cheese and broil until cheese is melted. Serve open-face with meat juices poured over each sandwich or closed with a bowl of broth like French Dip Sandwich.
- 8Slow Cooker Directions: Place onions in 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 quart slow cooker and top with beef roast. Combine soy sauce, garlic, onion soup mix and 3 cups of water: omit butter. Pour over roast and cook on high for 5 hours or low for 8 hours. Finish preparation as above.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Onion Beef Au Jus
Serving Size: 1 (352 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 503.5
- Calories from Fat 197
- Total Fat 21.9 g
- Saturated Fat 11.6 g
- Cholesterol 152.3 mg
- Sodium 1785.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 49.9 g