Recipe by kittycatmom
Okay, I can be honest! My favorite part of French Onion Soup is the cheesy bread on top. So when I saw this recipe on a local news show I had to make it! So good! Update: If you prefer, use 2-3 cups of your own French Onion Soup adapted from KSFY.com
Top Review by mandabears
this was very good and very easy. all i had in the house was a can of Progresso Onion Soup so i used that instead of the dry mix. it really does taste like a cup of French Onion Soup with toasted bread and cheese.
- 1 loaf French bread, cut into 1/2-inch slices (or French Baguette)
- 2 cups shredded swiss cheese (more if you like)
- 1 (3/4 ounce) envelope onion soup mix, prepared according to package directions (Lipton is best)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425°F Arrange bread slices on baking sheets and bake 5 minutes per side, until dry and golden. While bread is toasting prepare onion soup. If using dry onion soup - prepare according to package directions.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F Coat a 9" x 13" baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Arrange half the bread slices in a single layer over bottom of baking dish. Sprinkle with 1 cup cheese and top with remaining bread slices. Pour prepared onion soup over bread and sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until bread has absorbed most of the soup and cheese is golden.