1/2 Photos of French Onion and Wild Mushroom Soup
A recipe from Rachael Ray. Looks yummy and perfect for a cold day.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground thyme
- salt and pepper
- 1 (32 ounce) chicken broth or 1 (32 ounce) beef broth
- 1 (1 ounce) dried wild mushrooms, mixed
- 2 cups water
- 1/4-1/3 cup dry sherry (eyeball it)
- 4 thick slices crusty bread
- 1 large garlic clove, halved
- 1/2 lb gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1In a heavy soup pot, melt the butter with the olive oil, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-heat. Stir in the onions, bay leaf and thyme. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until the onions are softened and browned, 25 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring the chicken broth, mushrooms and 2 cups water to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the mushrooms and slice.
- 3Preheat the broiler. Pour the sherry into the onions and cook over medium heat, scraping up any browned bits. Stir in the mushrooms and hot broth.
- 4Toast the bread under the broiler, rub with the garlic and top with the cheese. Broil until melted. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve with the toasts.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Onion and Wild Mushroom Soup
Serving Size: 1 (640 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 567.2
- Calories from Fat 343
- Total Fat 38.1 g
- Saturated Fat 19.4 g
- Cholesterol 92.9 mg
- Sodium 1046.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 7.9 g
- Protein 23.7 g