Recipe by spiritussancto
halfway between vegetarian beef/barely soup and french onion. this turned out fairly light and satisfying. would be easily converted to vegan with soy cheese and milk/egg free bread
- 1 white onion (large, chopped)
- 4 white mushrooms (large,chopped)
- 2 celery ribs (chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cups water
- 3 tablespoons vegetarian beef bouillon powder (or 3 broth cubes)
- 1⁄3 cup pearl barley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1⁄4 cup red wine (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetarian beef strips (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon dill
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup croutons or 4 slices stale bread
- 1 -2 cup reduced-fat swiss cheese (shredded, or other strongly flavored cheese)
Directions See How It's Made
- chop all the veggies and garlic and sauté in olive oil in a medium soup pot until just starting to caramelize.
- add water, broth cubes, and barley and bring to a boil.
- add the herbs, liquid smoke, wine (if using) and "beef" pieces. simmer on med for about 25 min, until barley is swelled and softened. if you think it's too watery you can add 2-3 Tbs of corn starch, dissolved in 1/4 cup cold water and cook until thickened.
- adjust salt and pepper, serve topped with a handful of croûtons or the slice of stale or toasted bread, and sliced or shredded cheese. broil briefly if your bowls will take it or microwave just long enough to melt the cheese if they wont. serve with salad and the rest of the red wine.