1/2 Photos of French Mushroom and Scallion Soup
This is a wonderful soup with unusual ingredients--scallions and mushrooms! The soup has a delicate flavor, and once pureed, becomes thicker and more chowder-like. We loved this with crusty bread and some salmon on the side.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 59.16 ml butter
- 12 scallions, green and white parts, sliced thinly
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped (or to taste)
- 59.16 ml all-purpose flour
- 709.77 ml low sodium chicken broth (or for a vegetarian soup, use vegetable stock)
- 226.79 g mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 118.29 ml heavy cream or 118.29 ml half-and-half, if you want to conserve calories
- salt & freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- chopped fresh tarragon (to garnish) or chives (to garnish)
- 1Heat the butter in a large pot over moderate heat.
- 2Saute the scallions and garlic until tender but not too brown, about 5 minutes.
- 3Stir in the flour and cook 2 to 3 minutes to get rid of the raw flour taste.
- 4Add the stock and mushrooms and bring to a gentle boil, stirring frequently.
- 5Simmer covered for 5 minutes.
- 6Puree in batches using an electric blender or food processor.
- 7(If you have one, an immersion blender is the best!) Strain, return to the pot and add the cream or half& half, salt, and pepper.
- 8Reheat and serve garnished with chopped fresh herbs.
- 9Serve with a crusty loaf of French bread and a glass of wine.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Mushroom and Scallion Soup
Serving Size: 1 (223 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 290.7
- Calories from Fat 215
- Total Fat 23.9 g
- Saturated Fat 14.5 g
- Cholesterol 71.2 mg
- Sodium 157.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 7.8 g