1/1 Photo of French Merguez Sausages - Culinary Communion
From the Culinary Communion charcuterie class. Delicious! Recipe courtesy of Gabriel Claycamp, posted with permission. Makes approximately 10 pounds sausage.
My Private Note
lbs sau ...
Units: US | Metric
- 7 lbs lean lamb, trimmed and cubed
- 3 lbs pork fatback, cubed
- 3 ounces salt
- 5 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup minced garlic, sauteed and cooled
- 1 1/2 lbs roasted red peppers, peeled, seeded, and small diced
- 1 cup very cold dry red wine or 1 cup ice cold water
- sheep casing, rinsed, 38 feet (may substitute hog casing if necessary)
- 1Marinate: toss the lamb, fatback, and dry seasonings together, then chill well (at least 2 hours).
- 2Grind: grind meat mixture through grinder using a medium plate (1/4-inch) into a mixing bowl over an ice bath.
- 3Mix and develop protein: in an electric mixer, mix on low speed for 1 minute, adding the red wine a little at a time. Mix on medium speed for 15 to 20 seconds, or until the sausage mixture is sticky to the touch.
- 4Make a tester: make a test patty and pan fry. Adjust the seasoning and consistency if necessary before putting sausage into casings.
- 5Stuff: stuff the sausage into the prepared casings and twist into 15-inch links. Cut into individual links. Make a spiral with each link and secure with a 6-inch skewer.
- 6Cook: the sausage is now ready to prepare for eating by pan frying, baking, grilling, or broiling to an internal temperature of 150 degrees F, or hold under refrigeration for up to 7 days.
- 7Notes: regarding the links -- we don't make the 15-inch links, we make links about 4 inches long, twisting them into link-shape as we're filling the casings. It's up to you, of course, how you make them. These sausages are absolutely delicious, and I hope you'll try the recipe! The recipe appear to definitely be a French version of Merguez, rather than the Turnisian version -- all I know is that they're very, very tasty. :).
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Merguez Sausages - Culinary Communion
Serving Size: 1 (4245 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 510.8
- Calories from Fat 180
- Total Fat 20.0 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 203.3 mg
- Sodium 4494.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 67.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: