Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This meat pie is not the traditional version you will find in Canadian homes at Christmas, but that is okay because I am Italian. :) I created this recipe after several attempts to reduced the fat grams and calories compared to a traditional meat pie and my kids love it!
- 1 lb 93% lean ground beef (with 7% fat)
- 1⁄2 lb extra lean ground pork
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can fat free beef gravy, Campbell's
- 1⁄2 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs, Progresso
- 0.5 (1/2 ounce) packet Lipton Onion Soup Mix
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons Bell's seasoning
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 (11 ounce) box pie crust mix, Betty Crocker
- 1⁄3 cup cold water
- In a large saucepan, brown pork and beef over medium high heat. Remove from heat and drain excess grease in a colander.
- In the now empty saucepan, heat 1 tablespoons EVOO over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and saute until the onion is no longer crisp.
- Add the beef and pork to the saucepan.
- Add the Bell's Seasoning and mix thoroughly. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Increase heat to medium and add the beef gravy and the Lipton soup mix.
- Add the bread crumbs and combine thoroughly.
- Bring to a simmer. Cover and reduce heat to low and allow the mixture to simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and let stand covered while preparing the pie crust.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Using the package of pie crust mix and 1/3 cup cold water, prepare as directed for 2 9 inches pie shells.
- Place the bottom pie crust in a deep 9 inches pie dish, pressing bottom and sides firmly to the dish.
- Add filling from the saucepan and spread evenly.
- Place the top pie crust on the dish and trim all but 1/2 inches from the ends.
- Fold and roll the top edge over the bottom edge. Pinch along the edge with a thumb and finger.
- Cut four slits about 2 inches from the edge of the crust at the four compass points.
- Place in oven on the middle rack and bake for 90 minutes.