Recipe by Dorel
This is different than the others as this uses crumbled crackers. It comes from RecipeCenter. My DH and DD both enjoyed this variation very much. You can add some garlic powder if you like garlic.
Top Review by Happy Harry #2
I always try to make recipes the first time as it is printed uless clearly noted problems from other reviews. This was very tasty but quite dry. Will try again but plan to play around with it. Will inform you of results. Thanks
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 medium potatoes, cubed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder (to taste)
- 20 crackers (40 crackers in a sleeve)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (I leave out the cinnamon now as my family didn't like it)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme, more to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sage, more to taste
- 2 pie crusts (store bought or home made)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Sauté ground beef and pork with onions until no longer pink.
- In another pan boil and mash potatoes with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Do not drain fat from ground meat mixture.
- Add crumbled soda crackers, cinnamon, thyme, sage and mix well, the crackers help absorb a lot of the moisture and gives it great taste and texture.
- Next add mashed potatoes and mix well. I cool this before putting in crust but it isn't necessary if your baking it right away.
- Use a deep dish 9 or 10 inch pie plate and line bottom with 1 crust.
- Fill crust and then place second crust over filling, press edges together to seal: cut slits in top crust.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- This recipe may be made ahead of time and baked later, up to 24 hours ahead as long as kept refrigerated.
- Also can be frozen after prepared for a later date.
- I have started making this in 2 smaller foil pie pans and freeze one for another time. Each pie feeds 4 or 2 with leftovers.