Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a traditional French-Canadian recipe. My mom makes this only for the holidays, but I've made it year round.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 8 ounces ground pork
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 large potatoes, peeled, cut into quarters
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 double crust pie crust
- Combine beef, pork, onion and water in a medium saucepan and mix well.
- Cook, covered, over low heat until the ground beef and pork are cooked through, stirring occasionally.
- Boil the potatoesin water to cover in a small saucepan until tender; drain.
- Add to the meat mixture.
- Add the salt, allspice, cloves and pepper and mix well; remove from heat.
- Mash the mixture with a potato masher.
- Roll the pastry into two 11-inch circles on a lightly floured surface.
- Fit 1 pastry into a 9-inch pie plate.
- Fill with the meat mixture.
- Cover with the remaining pastry, fluting the edge and cutting several vents.
- Bake at 450' for 20 minutes or the crust is golden brown.
really good--much like my mother and grandmother made and I'm 68 . I grew up in Lewiston Maine