Recipe by TXOLDHAM
Adapted from 2002 issue of Southern Living. These were originally from Junior Legue cookbooks from New Orleans and Austin
- 1 (8 ounce) package Cajun-style sausage, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup beef broth
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook first 8 ingredients in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Drain on paper towels; cool.
- Stir together ground beef and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl; stir in sausage mixture. Shape meat mixture into an 11 1/2- by 4-inch loaf; place in a lightly greased aluminum foil-lined 15- by 10-inch jellyroll pan.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 50 minutes or until meat mixture is no longer pink in center; drain meat loaf, and let stand 10 minutes. Serve with Tomato Gravy.
- To make Tomato Gravy, melt butter and whisk in flour and cook, whisking constantly for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in broth and tomato sauce. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened. Whisk in salt and pepper.