Recipe by Peachy326
From the Kitchen of Deep South Dish (www.deepsouthdish.com) I just wanted to put this here to keep it safe.
- 1⁄4 ounce dry yeast (one envelope)
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 4 cups sifted flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1⁄3 cup boiling water
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- powdered sugar, sifted
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve the yeast in the warm water and set aside.
- Sift the flour and set aside.
- Pour the boiling water over the shortening and stir until the shortening is melted.
- Preheat deep fryer to 360 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups of the sifted flour with the sugar and salt, melted shortening, evaporated milk, egg, and yeast mixture.
- Add enough additional flour to form a shaggy dough. The amount of flour is a guesstimate; humidity may cause you to need a touch more or less.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and roll thin - somewhere between 1/4-inch and 1/8-inch thick.
- Using a pizza wheel, cut the dough into 2-inch squares.
- Drop into hot fryer and brown on one side until golden; flip and brown on the other side.
- Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Sprinkle with sifted powdered sugar.
- Serve immediately with a great cup of chicory joe.