Prep 5 mins
Cook 12 mins
These wonderful little light sponge cakes are an individual buttery treat. They freeze very well but they won't last long when your family samples these goodies.
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup butter (melted)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cake flour (sifted)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 lemons, zest of or 1 orange, zest of
- confectioners' sugar (dusting)
- Beat eggs until light yellow in color; add sugar, butter, vanilla, zest and continue mixing.
- Sift flour and baking powder and add to wet ingredients and mix well.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place a tablespoon of batter into each well-greased, madeline mold.
- Bake for 8- 12 minutes or until light golden in color.
- Turn out madelines and cool.
- Dust with confectionery sugar.
Wow. These are so easy and so good. I can't believe I've been paying bakery prices all these years.
These Madeleines have the perfect texture and not too sweet. I only found them to taste a bit 'eggy'.
I must be doing something wrong. This is the second time I've tried this recipe (I love madeleines). The taste is too eggy and lacking in the typical flavor I associate with madeleines. There is also not enough sugar - it is hardly sweet. The texture though is where I'm totally stumped. This is much lighter than the store bought ones and not in a good way. I think that is partly because they spread too much. If I try it again, I will definitely use 4 eggs, more sugar and more flour. Sorry this didn't work out, I really wanted to like it! Thank you.