2 hrs 15 mins
One of the basic French recipes: if you make it, try to get the ingredients together as set out here. Truffle ...?? Okay, we all know that you have to be pretty well connected to get that, so it's definitely optional! Maybe no-one will use this recipe, but surely Zaar's database needs this one! Ideal for a starter, or to serve with salad as lunch. Don't forget the wine ...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb bacon, preferably strips of streaky bacon (250 g, keep more at hand)
- 6 tablespoons brandy or 6 tablespoons cognac
- 2 lbs calf liver
- 1/2 lb pork liver
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons cream, thick or 4 tablespoons double cream
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, fat, crushed
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 truffle, coarsely chopped (optional, ROFL!)
- 1/4 lb chicken liver (125 g)
- 1Oven: 325 deg C/160 deg F.
- 2Line a pate mold or a small bread tin (bread tin is easiest to use) with with the bacon strips, then sprinkle with a little brandy.
- 3In a processor, mince the cleaned (membranes removed) calf and pork livers with the eggs, cream, lemon juice, garlic, pepper and salt.
- 4Do not process too finely. Add the brandy.
- 5Half-fill the lined mold with this mixture, and chop the chicken livers coarsely.
- 6Place the chicken livers (and truffle if you have it!) in a row down the centre. Season with salt and pepper.
- 7Cover with rest of processed pate, then fold bacon which line the tin (if any strips are hanging over the sides) over the filling. If not, take extra bacon and cover top of pate.
- 8Cover with foil, then stand the mold in a pan with water halfway up sides, and bake in the preheated oven for 2 hours.
- 9Remove and cool. Put a weight on top to press down firmly.
- 10Chill overnight in refrigerator. Turn out of mold before serving, and garnish to taste.
- 11(I find that the average building brick, well scrubbed and covered in a double piece of foil, is a great weight to use when using a bread tin).
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Liver Pate
Serving Size: 1 (70 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 332.2
- Calories from Fat 169
- Total Fat 18.8 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 474.0 mg
- Sodium 302.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 28.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: