- 2 slices thick cut bacon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium carrot, finely diced
- 1 large shallot, finely diced
- 1 small celery rib, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 5 sprigs thyme
- 3⁄4 cup French lentils, du puy
- 3⁄4 cup regular lentils
- 8 cups water (or a mixture of the two) or 8 cups vegetable stock (or a mixture of the two)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut bacon into matchstick pieces. Melt butter in a stockpot, then add bacon. Saute over medium heat 4-5 minutes until beginning to crisp.
- Add carrots, shallot, celery and garlic, and saute 5 minutes.
- Add thyme, lentils and liquid. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and simmer 35-45 minutes, until lentils are tender.
- Remove garlic cloves and thyme stems. If desired, puree part of the soup with an immersion blender to thicken.