Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
From the Food section of the Kansas City Star 02/07/07.
- 3⁄4 cup cubed lean ham
- 1 1⁄2 cups green puy French lentils
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- fresh ground black pepper
- Place the ham in a soup pot or dutch oven.
- Add 10 cups water and remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to and simmer 1 hour, or until lentils are tender and broth is rich.
I was shopping at our Coop the other day when I found French lentils. Not knowing what I was going to do with them, I bought a couple of scoops. This recipe is flavorful and has a nice rich broth. I was happy to find out that after 30 minutes of cooking, that these lentils held their shape and did not turn to mush. I will be buying more French lentils and making this recipe again. Made for *Bargain Basement game 2010*