1 hr 20 mins
This salad won't wilt, so is good on a picnic or in a buffet. Use larger portions for a main course. It's also good without the diced kielbasa, cheese, and olives, served with a hot, spicy grilled Italian sausage plopped right on top. A tea infuser works well to hold the herbs for the bouquet garni, if you don't have cheesecloth or muslin. From Sheryl and Mel London's "The Elegant Bean".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups french green lentils, picked over and washed
- 5 cups water
- 1 small onion, stuck with
- 1 whole clove
- 1 small carrot
- 1 small stalk celery
- 1 bouquet garni (3 sprigs flat leaf parsley, 3 sprigs thyme, 1 bay leaf, 4 whole black peppercorns, all tied in chees)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small garlic cloves or 1 teaspoon garlic, finely minced
- 1 medium onions or 3/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery or 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrots or 1/2 cup carrot, finely chopped
- 1/2 medium lemon, juice of
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons walnut oil
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1In a 5-qt. Dutch oven, bring the lentils, water, onion, carrot, and celery stalk to a boil. Add the bouquet garni and lower the heat. Simmer about 20 to 30 minutes, until lentils are tender but still maintain their shape. Add salt during the last few minutes of cooking. Remove and discard the vegetables and bouquet. Drain the lentils well and spread them on clean toweling to dry. Transfer the cooked lentils to a large bowl and set aside.
- 2Heat the olive oil in a medium size nonstick skillet, then add the garlic through the chopped carrot. Saute 5 minutes on medium, stirring frequently, then add to the bowl of cooked lentils, stirring gently.
- 3Place the lemon juice, vinegar, and a pinch of salt in a small bowl, then whisk in the walnut oil. Pour over the lentil mixture and season generously with black pepper. Gently stir the salad once. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature for 30m minutes or refrigerate overnight. Bring to room temperature before finishing the salad.
- 4To finish, stir in the kielbasa and adjust the seasoning. Line the serving plates with lettuce leaves and mound a portion of the salad on top. Garnish with some of the chevre, parsley, and olives.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Lentil and Vegetable Salad With Kielbasa and Chevre
Serving Size: 1 (226 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 360.7
- Calories from Fat 202
- Total Fat 22.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 17.4 mg
- Sodium 181.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.9 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 13.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: