Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Sweet and light little kisses for your loved one!
- 3 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 drops red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Place the egg whites in a glass mixing bowl with the salt.
- Beat until the whites are stiff and slowly add 1 cup of sugar, beating constantly.
- Gently fold in the red food coloring, extract and coconut.
- Do this very slowly to avoid deflating the mixture.
- Drop the mixture from a teaspoon onto a greased and well floured baking sheet (I use ungreased parchment paper).
- Bake about 30 minutes.
- Turn the oven off and let the kisses sit in the oven for 1 1/2 hours.
These were awesome. I've always wanted to make meringues and gave this a try. They are unbelievably easy and oh so delicious. The coconut adds a great texture. I only added about 3/4 cup and to me that was perfect.
I took these to a French Pot-Luck.. and everybody just snatched them within an hour.. they were begging for the recipe. Thanks naoma*//
Awesome!!! These may be the best meringues I've ever had. Baking time is perfect, resulting in cookies that are crisp throughout with coconut that is perfectly toasted. Loved the almond extract. The uncooked mixture is the most beautiful pink color but didn't stay that color after baking, so I would skip the coloring next time. So, so good! They won't last long around here. Thanks, Mirj, for the recipe!