1/2 Photos of French Hoagie Rolls
1 hr 30 mins
Jeff #631750's Note:
This is basically a standard French bread loaf recipe scaled up and modified for 4 hoagies, with my own observations and tips regarding making them suitable for eating sandwiches. The key point is that biting through the crust of a roll into a sandwich requires a crust that isn't tough.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine yeast with tepid but not warm water and let sit until convinced the yeast isn't dead, 10 minutes maximum.
- 2In a large bowl, combine most of the flour, oil and salt, add the water/yeast, and stir/add flour until the ball pulls away from the bowl.
- 3Sprinkle flour over a kneading surface and over the ball, and knead for about 7 minutes.
- 4Lightly oil a bowl and allow to rise until doubled, usually about 50-60 minutes if in a barely warm place.
- 5Punch down the dough, divide into quarters, and shape into 4 hoagies roughly 6" x 3.5" or so. Allow to rise for 20 minutes.
- 6Preheat the oven at 425, with a baking stone in the center rack and a ceramic dish on the bottom while the bread rises.
- 7Transfer the rolls to the stone, return the stone to the center rack, and turn the heat down to 375.
- 8For each of the first 4 minutes baking, toss a dash of water across the bottom of the ceramic dish to create steam.
- 9The rolls should be medium brown and more than doubled in height within 29-30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Hoagie Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (169 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 419.3
- Calories from Fat 55
- Total Fat 6.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 876.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 78.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 11.1 g