Prep 5 mins
Cook 24 hrs
Tangy! First you make yogurt cheese, then you use that to make the dip. A great opportunity to put your herb garden to use, though you can substitute smaller amounts of dried herbs if you prefer. The "cooking time" shown is actually the time the yogurt sits in your refrigerator. The recipe really makes closer to 1-3/4 cup dip than 2 cups, but the "yield" field wouldn't accept it.
- 1 quart plain yogurt (nonfat is OK)
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 minced green onion
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon, zest of
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- Make yogurt cheese: Place a sieve (or large funnel) lined with a coffee filter over a bowl or other container, pour yogurt into the sieve, and let sit in the refrigerator between 24 and 36 hours, or until liquid drains from the yogurt leaving a soft cheesy texture.
- Mix the yogurt cheese with the remaining ingredients.
- Store in the refrigerator.
I have used the base of this recipe (yogurt cheese) and gone crazy. You can make a healthy version of almost any dip using this the base. THANK YOU so much for bringing to my attention. I have tried a vegie dip packet and spread into celery; also used a ranch dip and enjoyed with fresh vegies. Used as a substitute in a spinach dip!
Easy dip and rather fun to make! I used nonfat yogurt (which really dripped out a LOT of whey!) and I wish I hadn't - not enough _richness_ for me. On the the taste - *tangy* for sure! To my palate, the tarragon is the predominant flavor. I think I would like it better with less tarragon and more oregano, garlic and parsley. I noshed on some veggies with the dip while preparing dinner and felt quite righteous about the minimal amount of calories. Thanks or sharing your recipe!
We enjoyed this dip echo! I used Greek yogurt for this, as that is all I ever use! all ingredients were exactly the right amount, even the garlic, anymore would have way too overpowering! Great mix of herbs, thanks for sharing hon!...Kitten:)