Recipe by Magnolia J
This recipe is based on a combination of my Mom & Grammy's chicken pot pie recipes. My husband is more adventurous than my parents or grandparents, so I took the liberty of adding some herbs to make a more sophisticated pie. This is definately not a "calorie conscious" dish, but it sure is satisfying on a cold Winter evening. I hope you enjoy it!
- 2 cups boneless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 cup new potato, cubed
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, diced
- 1⁄4 cup salted butter
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, diced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh green beans, snapped
- 1⁄2 cup baby lima beans (fresh or frozen)
- 1⁄2 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 2 tablespoons chicken stock reduction (such as Glace De Poulet Gold)
- 1⁄2 cup unbleached flour
- 1 quart heavy whipping cream
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons herbes de provence
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, finely chopped
- 2 unbaked pie crusts (such as Pate Brisee)
- 1 egg yolk
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium stock pot: add 1 tablespoon Butter, Potatoes, Chicken, Onion, Mushrooms & Celery. Saute at medium-high heat until bottom of the pan is brown.Remove Potato/Chicken mixture from pan and set aside.
- Add remaining Butter to pan. Melt completely. Add Flour to form a rue. Cook at medium heat until lightly browned. Add Chicken Stock Reduction, Whipping Cream, Herbs and Pepper. Whisk together until completely incorporated. Add Vegetables and return to heat. Simmer at medium-low until sauce is thickened and Vegetables are fork tender.
- Place prepared Pie Crust into the bottom of a pie dish. Add filling. Add top crust and pinch edges securely. Brush top with beaten Egg Yolk. Cut vents into top crust.
- Bake at 400F degrees until golden. Remove from oven and allow to cool for at least 10 minutes to allow filling to set up enough to cut.