I watched Ina Garten make a similar dish and had to try it myself. It's way beyond basic grilled cheese. Yum!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk, scalded but not boiling
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 10 ounces swiss cheese, grated
- 3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 lb ham, sliced thin from the deli
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 16 slices rustic white bread, sliced with crust removed
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F
- 2Melt butter over low heat in small saucepan. Whisk in flour until blended. Continue to stir and cook butter and flour for 1-2 minutes. Slowly add scalded milk, whisking continually, until mixture is smooth and thickened. Remove from heat, stir in salt, garlic salt, 1/2 cup Swiss cheese and all of Parmesan cheese until cheese is melted and set aside.
- 3Toast bread slices on large baking sheet on both sides under broiler until golden brown. Remove from oven.
- 4Brush each bread slice with Dijon mustard. Place sliced ham on half of bread slices and top each with 1/2 of remaining Swiss cheese and remaining 1/2 of bread slices. Spread reserved cheese sauce over tops of sandwiches, sprinkle with left over Swiss cheese.
- 5Bake sandwiches for 5 minutes. Place under broiler for additional 2-4 minutes, or until tops are browned and bubbly. Watch closely to avoid burning tops. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Grilled Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (397 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 920.1
- Calories from Fat 453
- Total Fat 50.3 g
- Saturated Fat 26.5 g
- Cholesterol 148.8 mg
- Sodium 2365.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 12.2 g
- Protein 48.3 g