I created this Asian-inspired dish last night. It is permissible for phase one of the South Beach Diet and we LOVED it. I used frozen french beans from Trader Joe's, but fresh beans would be wonderful! Amounts are highly approximated; I didn't measure when making this, but this is pretty similar to what I did. (If using fresh beans, you'd probably want to blanch them in boiling water and then plunge in ice water, and *then* add to the pan.)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 -3 garlic cloves
- 6 large button mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup whole almond (more or less to taste and to fit your dieting goals)
- 1⁄2 lb frozen French-cut green beans (like those found at Trader Joe's but any would work, including fresh, also, you may want to add more)
- soy sauce, to taste
- Heat oil over medium heat.
- Sauté garlic until soft, being careful not to let it burn.
- Add sliced mushrooms and sauté until they look fairly cooked and shiny (about 5 minutes).
- Add almonds and sauté for a couple more minutes.
- Finally, add frozen green beans and splash of soy sauce.
- Stir frequently until beans are just cooked and, of course, no longer frozen.
- If not on the south beach diet or watching sugar intake, you could add oyster sauce or other Asian condiment to the mixture.