3 hrs 45 mins
Polar Bear's Note:
Rich, satisfying, gourmet one-dish meal for cold days. An authentic recipe from Lorraine, France. Recipe from award-winning James Peterson's "Glorious French Food". Substitutes for ingredients are provided. Please avoid shortening cooking time to achieve ideal consistency for the stew.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups dried white beans (such as cannellini, borlotti, or Great Northern or diced potatoes added 30 minutes before cooking is)
- 5 -6 lbs trimmed boneless pork shoulder
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed, peeled
- 1 medium bouquet garni
- 5 juniper berries, crushed with the side of a knife, tied up in cheesecloth (or 3 tsps. gin or equal parts crushed bay leaves and caraway seeds)
- 1 lb thick slab bacon, preferably with rind, left whole
- 1 large cabbage (preferably Savoy)
- 1 lb pork or 1 lb garlic sausage
- 2 large carrots
- 1 medium turnip
- 1 medium onion, peeled
- 2 cloves
- 10 slices thick toasted French bread
- 1Rinse beans and soak beans overnight or at least 4 hours with as much water to cover them entirely as they expand.
- 2To serve this rich stew as a first-course soup, cut cabbages into wedges and as thinly as possible.
- 3All vegetables and meats are cut into cubes or diced and add more liquid.
- 4Use only half of the pork shoulder.
- 5Trim off excess fat from pork shoulder.
- 6Tie the shoulder into an oval and put it in a large pot, ideally just wide enough to hold the shoulder with the shoulder bone if there was one.
- 7Add garlic, bouquet garni, juniper berries.
- 8Pour in enough cold water to cover and bring to a gentle simmer.
- 9Cut the rind off the bacon and add to liquid with pork shoulder.
- 10Simmer very gently uncovered, using ladle to skim off fat and froth.
- 11Cut cabbage into 10 wedges.
- 12Remove strip of core at inner edges.
- 13When the shoulder has cooked for 1 17" hours, add the beans.
- 14Simmer for 30 minutes more and nestle in the cabbage wedges, sausage, and the rest of the vegetables.
- 15Simmer for one hour more.
- 16The pork cooks for a total of 3 hours.
- 17Strain contents of pot and set over a bowl or clean pot.
- 18Discard bouquet garni and shoulder bone.
- 19Skim off a bit of the fat.
- 20Season the broth to taste with salt.
- 21Slice the meats.
- 22Serve broth and vegetables in bowls, each with a slice of toast at the bottom of each bowl and the meats placed on top.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Gourmet Pork, Sausage, and Vegetable Stew
Serving Size: 1 (585 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1233.4
- Calories from Fat 658
- Total Fat 73.1 g
- Saturated Fat 24.7 g
- Cholesterol 231.0 mg
- Sodium 996.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.7 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 73.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: