Recipe by Barb in WNY
This is a recipe I have kept in a file for years. Maybe now it will see the light of day.
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons salad oil
- 3⁄4 cup beer, at room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 6 -8 medium zucchini
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir egg yolks, salt, salad oil and beer into flour and beat until smooth(or use a blender.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let stand overnight or several hours.
- Trim edges from zucchini, slice lengthwise, then cut like french-fried potatoes.
- Place in a colander, sprinkle with salt and let stand 1/2 hour to remove some of the liquid.
- Drain, rinse and pat dry with paper towels.
- When ready to fry, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry, stir in batter, and fold in whites to incorporate.
- Dip zucchini in batter and fry a few at a time, in oil heated to 375°F in a deep fryer.
- Cook until golden brown (about 2 minutes) remove to paper towels to drain.
- Keep cooked zucchini warm in low oven until all sticks are cooked and ready to serve.