Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
These deep fried slices of ripe tomatoes can be served warm or at room temperature.
- 4 firm ripe tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar, to taste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- Wash the tomatoes and cut them in 1-inch slices. Do not peel.
- Dust with salt, pepper and sugar.
- Whisk beaten egg with milk.
- Dip tomato slices in the egg mixture, then roll the in the crumbs.
- Place a batch at a time in a frying basket and fry in deep fat hot enough to brown a cube of white bread in 55 seconds (about 370°F).
- Drain on paper towels.