Recipe by Vegan Thanksgiving!
Green Bean Casserole is a must for Thanksgiving dinner, some think. Your local Asian grocer may carry fried red onions (shallots), but if not, the only way to make it gluten-free is to fry your own onions. If you don't own a mandoline or v-slicer, this might be a good time to purchase one. The good news is that the rest of the ingredients are store-bought, thanks to canned french-style green beans and a vegan gluten-free mushroom soup from Imagine Foods.
- 1 large onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups soymilk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour (Bob's Red Mill makes a gluten-free A-P flour)
- salt, to taste
- oil, for frying
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice onions with a mandoline.
- Soak in milk for 8 minutes.
- Heat oil to 375 degrees over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Toss onions with flour and salt and separate on parchment paper.
- Let sit while oil heats.
- Fry by spoonful until golden brown.
- When cool, transfer to a super-airtight container.