Recipe by Aunt Cookie
I rarely deep-fry anything, but these make the smoky kitchen worth it. I got this from "Good Time Eatin' in Cajun Country," a vegan Cajun cookbook (what will they think of next?). Enjoy!
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 3 cups chickpea flour
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice the onions about 1/4 inch thick, and separate into rings.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of the chickpea flour over the onions.
- Mix together the remaining ingredients, then add water to make a thick batter.
- Heat 2 inches of oil.
- Dip the onion rings into the batter. Fry until golden, turning over once in the oil.
- Set aside to drain on paper towels.
- Salt and pepper to taste.