Recipe by Sharon123
Make one batch of cookies and get two different kinds of cookie sandwiches! Adapted from B H & G magazine.
- 1 cup whole blanched almond (or slivered)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup shredded coconut, finely chopped
- lemon curd
- raspberry jam
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line two large cookie sheets with parchment paper; set aside. In a food processor, combine blanched almonds and 1 cup of the powdered sugar. Cover and process until very finely ground. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine egg whites, salt, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add the remaining 1 cup powdered sugar, about 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high speed just until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Sprinkle about one-fourth of the almond mixture over the egg mixture; fold in with a large spatula. Continue sprinkling and folding in almond mixture, one-fourth at a time, until the two mixtures are combined.
- Transfer macaroon mixture to a large pastry bag fitted with a large round tip (about 1/2-inch). Pipe half the macaroon mixture into 1-inch circles on prepared cookie sheets. Pipe remaining half of the macaroon mixture into 1-inch mounds on prepared cookie sheets. Sprinkle tops of mounds with finely chopped shredded coconut.
- Bake in a preheated oven about 10 minutes or just until set (cookies shouldn't crack). Cool cookies completely on cookie sheets on wire racks. Peel cookies from parchment paper.
- Spread about 1/2 teaspoon lemon curd on the top of each of one-half of the rounds. Spread about 1/2 teaspoon raspberry jam on the top of each of remaining rounds. Top with cookie mounds, flat sides down. Makes about 46 sandwich cookies.
- To Store: Layer unfilled cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw cookies if frozen. Fill as directed in prior step.