Prep 2 hrs
Cook 0 mins
This dressing, called the "Wine Merchant" in English, likely originated from French wine merchants needing to use up small amounts of wine that would be left over at the end of the month. Best on a salad with lots of different greens. Does not go well with tomatoes or fruit. Rather complex, it is nonetheless well worth the effort. Enjoy!!
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 2 cups olive oil
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups honey
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon rosemary
- 1 tablespoon dill
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon curry
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 1 tablespoon anise seed
- 2 cups vinegar
- 4 tablespoons baking soda
- In two separate saucepans, bring white and red wines to a boil.
- Add one cup of olive oil to each.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- In another small saucepan, heat cream, honey, brandy, and rum to barely simmering.
- Add 1/2 cup brown sugar to white wine and 1/2 cup brown sugar to cream-honey mixture.
- Continue simmering.
- When the five minutes are up for the wines, remove red wine from heat.
- Remove white wine once it reaches simmering temperature after the sugar is added.
- Stir together the salt and water and add to the cream-honey mixture.
- Wait until mixture simmers again.
- Add basil, rosemary, dill, thyme, and curry to the hot red wine and stir.
- Let this set for awhile.
- Add garlic powder, black pepper, sugar, poppy seeds, and anise seed to the cream-honey mixture.
- Simmer cream-honey mixture for 10 minutes.
- Pour white wine into cream-honey mixture and continue to simmer.
- Take a small bowl and measure baking soda into it.
- Prepare vinegar in a measuring cup.
- Very quickly, pour vinegar over baking soda, stir vigorously, and pour into the red wine.
- If the vinegar is mixed with the baking soda for longer than 15 seconds before it hits the wine, throw it out and try again.
- Let red wine-vinegar mixture set for 5 minutes.
- Pour red wine-vinegar mixture into the cream-honey-wine mixture and continue to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and beat on high speed for 10 minutes.
- Chill till time to serve.