1/3 Photos of French Dip Soup (Rachael Ray)
Just saw this recipe on Rachael's talk show. I LOVE onion soup and I LOVE roast beef sandwiches . . . so the combo sounds absolutely awesome!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 large onions, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 fresh bay leaves or 1 dried bay leaf
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 6 cups beef stock
- 1/2 loaf crusty bread, torn into bite-size pieces and toasted
- 1 lb deli-style roast beef, shredded
- parmesan cheese (optional) or swiss cheese (optional) or gruyere cheese, grated (optional)
- 1Heat a deep pot over medium to medium-high heat.
- 2Add EVOO, about one turn of the pan, and butter to the pot.
- 3Add the onions to the pot as you slice them and the chopped garlic.
- 4Season with salt and pepper.
- 5Add thyme sprigs and a bay leaf.
- 6Cook the onions for 20-25 minutes, stirring frequently, until tender, sweet and deep caramel-colored. If the onions are burning in spots before browning all over, add a splash of water and stir every now and then, scraping the bottom of the pot.
- 7Once the onions are tender and brown, add the white wine and scrape up all the brown bits from the bottom of the pot.
- 8Add the beef stock and cover the pot to bring the soup up to a quick boil.
- 9Place a few chunks of the toasted bread into each of four deep soup bowls or crocks and top the toast with a handful of the shredded roast beef.
- 10Once the soup reaches a boil, remove the bay leaf and thyme sprigs and ladle into bowls to cover the roast beef.
- 11If you like, top it off with a handful of cheese and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Dip Soup (Rachael Ray)
Serving Size: 1 (833 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 785.7
- Calories from Fat 197
- Total Fat 21.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.7 g
- Cholesterol 103.6 mg
- Sodium 2068.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 91.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 11.5 g
- Protein 51.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: