- 29.58 ml butter
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 14.79 ml all-purpose flour
- 42.52 g dry sherry (optional)
- 2 (609.51 g) can beef consomme, found on broth and soups aisle or 2 (609.51 g) can beef broth
- 680.38 g sliced deli roast beef
- montreal steak seasoning (Grill seasoning blend for steak) or coarse salt and pepper
- 4 torpedo sandwich buns, split
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large, shallow skillet over moderate heat, melt butter.
- Add shallots to butter and saute 2 minutes.
- Add flour to butter and shallot and cook a minute longer.
- Whisk in sherry and cook liquid out.
- Whisk in consomme in a slow stream.
- Bring sauce to a bubble and allow to simmer over low heat until ready to serve sandwiches.
- Pile meat loosely across your cutting board or a large work surface.
- Season meat with grill seasoning or salt and black pepper.
- Set out 4 ramekins or small soup cups for dipping sauce, 4 dinner plates and 4 split torpedo rolls.
- To assemble, using a pair of kitchen tongs, dip meat into loose au jus sauce and pile into rolls.
- Set ramekins or cups with extra dipping sauce along side the sandwiches.