Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I used to make these when my boys were growing up. I just re-discovered it again.You will love it.I promise it will be a hit.Serve with fries.
- 3 lbs sirloin roast beef
- freshly crushed pepper
- 1 (34 g) envelopeknorr demi-glace gravy mix
- 3 (10 1/2 ounce) cans consomme
- 2 cups water
- 6 French rolls
- Add lots of pepper to roast.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 of the Demi-glace mix.
- Place roast uncovered in 400* preheated oven.
- Cook for 1 hour. Turn oven off; let sit another hour in oven.
- Remove from oven and let sit 1/2 hour.
- Store drippings from the roast to add later.
- Thinly slice the roast. If serving the next day, place covered in refrigerator.
- Do not worry if your meat is no well done it will keep cooking in the broth.
- To serve:.
- In slow cooker heat up, consommé, water,remaining Demi-glace and drippings from roast on High. Add beef slices.Let it sit until it is ready to eat.
- To serve remove beef from au jus and place in a bowl.
- Ladle au jus in individual containers for each guest to dip his sandwich.
- Used baguette, french bread or hoagy buns to make the sandwiches.
I'm SO GLAD i got to make this!!! And finally used some of my RAZOR sharp mandolines that I had gotten for Christmas! I made it early in the day, and didn't slice it til it was actually cold. Sliced like a dream!! (Well half the slices did! LOL!) Saved the pretty ones for my sandwich!! :) LOL! Absolutely delicious!!! I did add some garlic, though, but I LOVE garlic so that's just me! ;) Thanks so much! Made for the ZWT5!
With all the food I've been making, I just had to cut this back by 2/3 & it served 2 of us very nicely for a lunch! Really appreciated the easy prep, too! This is definitely a recipe I'll be making again! Thanks for sharing it! [Tagged, made & reviewed while in France during the ZWT5]
I love French dip sandwiches and this made me an excellent lunch!!! Thank you for posting. ZWT5