Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is not only a comfort food, but a delightfully different soup..........with the addition of Apples, Apple Brandy, and Apple Cider. I am pleased to share this unique recipe with you, with the permission of my French friend, who created it.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 leek, including 1-inch of green, cleaned and finely diced
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled and finely diced
- 2 tablespoons calvados (apple brandy)
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup apple cider
- 12 ounces chicken breasts, boneless, cubed
- 2 cups fine egg noodles (I use gluten-free quinoa)
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup gruyere cheese, grated (optional)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- chives, snipped, for garnish
- Heat butter in saucepan. Add leeks and Granny Smith apple, cover and simmer until tender, for about 5 minutes.
- Add Calvados (remember to add alcohol to pan away from flame) return pan to burner, reduce liquid until almost evaporated. Stir in the cider vinegar, broth, apple cider and bring to a simmer.
- Add the chicken and pasta to the broth, cover cook until the chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Skim off any fat which is floating to the surface.
- Stir in heavy cream, Gruyere, (if using ) and season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Garnish with chives.