1 hr 30 mins
Cecily Parsley's Note:
A terrine is a fancy meatloaf that is always served cold. Make it at least 3 days ahead so that the flavours can meld. The adventurous cook can use rabbit loins instead of chicken. From the LCBO's "Food and Drink" magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup shelled green unsalted pistachios
- 1/4 lb thinly sliced fatty bacon, rind removed
- 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 3/4 cup madeira wine or 3/4 cup port wine
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb ground fatty pork
- 1/2 ground veal
- 1/2 lb ground calf liver, crumbly
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave
- 2 eggs
- 3 fresh bay leaves
- 1Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2Bring a small pot of water to boil. Add pistachios and boil for 2 minutes. Drain, then remove skins.
- 3Line a 6 cup ceramic terrine or 9" x 5" loaf pan with bacon. Place on baking tray.
- 4Cu chicken breast into long thin strips. Place in small bowl with 1/2 cup madeira and season with salt and pepper. Let marinate while preparing the stuffing.
- 5For the stuffing: In a large bowl, mix together pork, veal, liver, onion, garlic, kosher salt and thyme. Add pistachios. Whisk remaining Madeirawith the eggs, add to stuffing and mix very well.
- 6Take a small piece of stuffingand flatten into a mini patty. Cook in a fry pan, then taste to check seasonings.
- 7Drain chicken strips and discard marinade. Place 1/3 of the stuffing in the prepared terrine and pack down. Arrange half the chicken strips on top. Top this layer with another 1/3 of the stuffing, press well; and add remainign chicken. Top with final 1/3 of stuffing and pack down. Push any exposed nut into the stuffing. Place bay leaves on top. Bake uncovered for 1 1/2 hours until firm and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out hot.
- 8Allow to cool thouroughly. Keep refrigerated, but serve at room temperature with fresh crusty bread and cornichons.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Country-Style Terrine
Serving Size: 1 (113 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 240.1
- Calories from Fat 122
- Total Fat 13.6 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 165.0 mg
- Sodium 827.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 21.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: