Prep 20 mins
Cook 11 hrs
A hearty soup from the slow-cooker. Adapted from BHG.
- 1⁄2 lb dried navy beans or 1⁄2 lb dried great northern beans
- 6 cups water
- 1 lb lamb or 1 lb beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups ready-to-serve low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Rinse the beans, then drain.
- ADd the beans and water to a large soup pot.
- Bring to a boil; lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Take off the stove and let set for 1 hour.
- Drain beans and rinse.
- Transfer beans to a 6-quart slow-cooker along with stew meat, and the rest of the ingredients; stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours.
- Take out bay leaves and adjust seasonings to taste;.
This was very good. It took some time in the pressure cooker and extra time in the slower cooker to get those beans soft, but the result was very good. I added a little milk to one bowl and that was very good too.