Recipe by Stephanie Z.
Posted for ZWT3, I got this recipe from foodfit.com. I haven't tried this yet, but it sure sound yummy!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 orange, zest of
- 1 teaspoon thyme (fresh or dry)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups fish stock or 2 cups clam juice
- 1 dozen clam (littleneck or cherrystone)
- 12 medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 lbs mussels, scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, coarsely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, red pepper and garlic, season lightly with salt and pepper and cook until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the orange zest, thyme, bay leaf and wine and bring to a boil. Cook until the wine is almost gone.
- Add the tomatoes and fish stock (or clam juice or chicken broth) and cook for 5 minutes more. (This can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.).
- Rinse the clams and add them to the pot, cover with a lid or foil and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the cover and add the mussels. Cover again and cook for 1 minute. Remove the cover, add the shrimp and cook until the shrimp are just cooked, about 2 minutes more.
- Season with salt and pepper if needed and serve hot.