Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
Wonderful pie; quick and easy to boot. I just remembered, AFTER it was reviewed, that I add vanilla and coconut extracts to the recipe, maybe 1 tsp. each.
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted and cooled
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup coconut, flaked
- 1 unbaked pie shell, 8 or 9
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- Beat eggs; stir in margarine, sugar mixed with flour, buttermilk and coconut.
- Pour into pie shell.
- Bake at 375F about 45 min.
- or until filling is set.
- After reading one of the reviews, it dawned on me that I often take a piece of Reynolds Wrap and lay it over the pie around the 1/2 hour stage to keep the top and crust from burning.
Excellent! I used real butter and added vanilla extract and it was outstanding. It's so easy to prepare, too, so I'll be making it again and again. Even the kids, who frown at coconut, loved it. Thanks for posting this recipe, Bliss! Update: I tried the recipe again with your addition of coconut extract and did not care for it - I thought it was too "coconuty." I think I'll stick with just the vanilla extract. Thanks again for a wonderful recipe!
Loved it- I was looking for a non custardy type of coconut pie and this is it. I have made it twice, once as written, and once with the addition of chopped pecans and bourbon. Both versions were meltingly delicious.
This was one of the most excellent pies I have ever tasted... or made. The filling was amazing. It's like a pecan pie, dense and buttery sweet but with loads of coconut. The top gets a deep brown and it never really set for me when I moved it. So I took it out at 40 minutes and cooled it. It did set then. I topped it with whipped cream. Wonderful and going in my main recipes permanently.