I couldn't find my recipe card for clafouti so I decided to look on rzaar, and was surprised with my results. Most of the recipes posted use very little milk and a lot of flour. My grandma is parisian, and this is her recipe for clafouti, it uses a fair amount of milk and little flour. We usually eat it for breakfast because it's pretty healthy (we use low fat milk). You can either use fresh or canned sliced fruit, bing cherries, reconstituted dried fruit, sliced apples, as long as it's not too acidic (pineapple and oranges would not work) I almost always use canned peaches. Sometimes if we really want this to make a hearty breakfast we add a couple more eggs. This isn't very sweet, so add more sugar if you prefer.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (20 ounce) can fruit, drained (peaches, pears, or fresh cherries or apples, make sure that the bottom of the pan is pretty covered )
- 4 -5 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- my grandma adds 1 tbs rum or cognac after the batter is poured over the fruit
- 1note: I'm not sure if a twenty ounce can is the right size, I usually use the "larger" size can of fruit but I can't remember how big it is.
- 2Grease and flour circular deep dish glass pie plate (large).
- 3Beat together eggs, sugar and flour.
- 4Add the vanilla and milk gradually
- 5Arrange the fruit in the bottom of the pan.
- 6Pour the batter mixture over the fruit.
- 7*optional, strew dots of unsalted butter over the clafouti halfway though baking.
- 8Bake at 400 degrees F, for 30 to 40 minutes.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Clafouti
Serving Size: 1 (134 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 156.5
- Calories from Fat 57
- Total Fat 6.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 152.3 mg
- Sodium 86.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 7.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: