This is the basic old French lemon tart filling which I recalled from my childhood -it took me years to find it. Unlike most lemon tart filling recipes out there,this is clearer in content and is thickened through heating I buy my pastry cases so have not included a recipe for them-thin to med thickness, semi sweet, pastry cases work best
- In a bowl beat the egg yolks and sugar then slowly add juice of 2 lemons.
- plus zest ( finely grated skins)
- Slowly add melted butter then place all ingredients back into a medium heated pot and stir until mixture thickens and appears creamy in texture.
- You are now ready to fill your pastry cases.
- I put my filled tarts in a medium heated oven for 5 mins to bind the tart and casing although it can be eaten if the casings are precooked.
- -Note the egg white is not used but can be added if desired by beating whites untill stiff then adding a few tbsps of sugar slowly.When of meringue consistency pipe rings around the outside of the pastry shell or if desired make small peaks over the top of the lemon mix.this addition works best when you are using home made pastry cases as it requires slightly longer cooking at a lower temperature.