- 453.59 g chicken liver
- 44.37 ml chicken fat or 44.37 ml vegetable oil, plus more for greasing pan
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 large eggs, hard-boiled
- 44.37-59.16 ml cognac or 44.37-59.16 ml other brandy
- 14.79 ml corn or 14.79 ml potato starch
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 5-6 bay leaves, preferably fresh
- rye bread
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat chicken fat or vegetable oil in sauté pan over medium heat for 1 minute, and sauté onion in it 20 to 25 minutes, or until very soft and lightly golden. add uncooked liver, and cook until just pink inside, a few minutes.
- Place onions and liver in food processor with eggs, brandy and starch, and process until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Arrange bay leaves shiny side down in loaf pan, and spoon liver mixture on top, pressing gently with spoon to get rid of any air bubbles. Set pan in a larger pan two-thirds filled with warm water, and bake 20 minutes. Cool, and unmold. Serve with rye bread.