from this weeks NY Times
Make and share this French Chopped Chicken Liver Pate recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb chicken liver
- 3 tablespoons chicken fat or 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for greasing pan
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 large eggs, hard-boiled
- 3 -4 tablespoons cognac or 3 -4 tablespoons other brandy
- 1 tablespoon corn or 1 tablespoon potato starch
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 5 -6 bay leaves, preferably fresh
- rye bread
- Heat chicken fat or vegetable oil in sauté pan over medium heat for 1 minute, and sauté onion in it 20 to 25 minutes, or until very soft and lightly golden. add uncooked liver, and cook until just pink inside, a few minutes.
- Place onions and liver in food processor with eggs, brandy and starch, and process until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Arrange bay leaves shiny side down in loaf pan, and spoon liver mixture on top, pressing gently with spoon to get rid of any air bubbles. Set pan in a larger pan two-thirds filled with warm water, and bake 20 minutes. Cool, and unmold. Serve with rye bread.